Sunday, June 12, 2011

An Experiment in 3D

3D. It's a pretty polarizing topic in the film biz these days. I myself am not sure what to make of it. Yet when I was recently invited to help shoot a 3D short, I was eager to jump in.

As of today, we have completed the 3rd day of production. And let me tell you, it's been quite an adventure so far. Calibrating cameras, aligning mirrors, using remote flash triggers to genlock DSLRs...it's craziness. We're fortunate to be shooting with the awe-inspiring Zeiss CP.2s - 28, 50, & 85mm. Image quality aside, their large size has presented some challenges. Our 3D Film Factory rig has a difficult time accommodating them so we've had to ghetto rig some things. In particular, we replaced the normal 1/2" 1/4-20 bolts in the camera plates with much longer ones (plus 6 or 7 washers), in order to raise up the cameras so the CP.2s don't bump into the darned plates.

Then there's keeping the mirror clean. In uncontrolled situations (ie, outside), extreme diligence and vigilance are required to ensure a spotless mirror- which is critical for every shot. Using black wrap to cover the openings in the top of the rig is not ideal. I've been praying constantly to the Duvetyne gods for intervention, but they remain silent.

Now granted, our rig is not the most advanced 3D machine money can buy, so it would be unfair for me to draw any final conclusions about 3D production from this experience. But I do miss the warm 2D production world with its simpler calibrations and mirror-less matte boxes. However, despite all the added steps and difficulties, it's exciting to walk on a new frontier. I'm interested to see if the end product justifies the means...



1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I knew that 3D involved different cameras, but I never knew it would take so much additional work.

    ReplyDelete